Saturday 23 November 2013

Chenab, Vashi

Highlights:
Home Delivery, Dine-In, Bar Available, Non Veg, North Indian Cuisine.

Costs around Rs. 800 for two without alcohol. VAT and service charges extra.

Chenab is a restaurant different from others. It has a class of its own, which speaks for itself. I like Chenab for its ambiance, atmosphere, food and it brings a sense of being home away from home to me. That’s because I’m from Punjab and this is one of the best place to have North Indian food in Navi Mumbai. Following is the detailed review:

Location:

Getting to this place might be cumbersome for many. It is located at the residential area of Sector-8 in Vashi. The plus point about this thing is the peace of mind you get while enjoying your meal. It’s a bit hard to find, but once done, all the hard work is worth it.

Ambiance:

Chenab has two seating options- indoors and roof top. I find the latter more interesting and enjoyable. It gives you a feel of a roadside dhaba. Copper glasses, large wooden tables, manjis to sit on, cushions etc. everything was perfectly set. However this place is slightly low on space and one might feel quite cramped up. Other than that, everything is good.
This time of the year is the best to have a meal on the roof top of a restaurant as it’s mostly humid in Mumbai. However the management makes arrangement for monsoons as well.
A common thing found in most of the restaurants is ghazals playing in the background. You can find this at Chenab also.

Food & Drinks:
Let me get to the drinks first. This place serves alcohol and has happy hours from 6:30 to 8:30 in the evening. Other than the hard drinks, you can grab a huge tumbler of lassi (buttermilk) which is a speciality in Chenab. Drinks are not overpriced which is a thing I like. Plus in happy hours it’s always more reasonable on hard drinks.

Now let’s talk about food. North Indian food is found in its most authentic form here. I ordered the favourite tandoori chicken for starters. It was well cooked and was melting in my mouth. Honestly I haven’t found many places here which offer a decent tandoori chicken which is quite disappointing. I think it is one of the simplest yet tasty dishes one can prepare but many restaurants can’t do justice with it. Chenab isn’t one of them.

The reason why I loved eating at Chenab apart from all the stuff written up was Dal Makhni. Trust me this place serves the best Dal Makhni, or Dal Bukhara as they say. I literally jumped of my seat when I tasted it. I also ordered chicken tikka masala but I kept gobbling on Dal Makhni like a little child. Chicken tasted good and the quantity was also good enough.
In dessert I had Malai kulfi which was decent. I think it didn’t match the standards set by starters and main course. Food is aptly priced.

Verdict:
Chenab is different from the various fine dining restaurants one may visit on a regular basis. But it is worth visiting if you are longing for a change. It breaks a certain kind of monotony which is welcome once in a while. I give this place 4 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment